Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Davis Webber

It's been nearly two weeks since Davis arrived and I wanted to get our birth story down in writing before the details became fuzzy from the lack of sleep.

Davis Phillips Webber
12/3/15, 9:46pm
9lbs 6oz & 20.5"

Davis was technically due on 12/12, same as my birthday, and to ensure we didn't have another 10 1/2lb baby and give us some separation in birthdays we made a plan with our dr. to induce no later than 12/5, at 39weeks.  My last day of work was 11/20 and I was so glad to have the week of Thanksgiving off. I was definitely feeling ready and my body was heavy and tired. I was nervous he would come on Thanksgiving, as well as fast and furious, but both turned out not to be true.

We had our weekly dr. apt scheduled for Thursday, 12/3 and Blane and Bennett were both with me. We were going to have a Bennett day, a special day to do something fun with just the three of us before our lives totally changed. When the dr. checked I was already dilated to 4cm. I had just starting having more consistent braxton hix contractions the two days prior. She thought he had changed positions so decided to do a little ultrasound check. While looking, she measured my amniotic fluids and they were down to a 3. Not sure what the measurement is, but they start inducing labor when they get down to about a 5. So, ours was low. She looked at us and said, "do you want to have your baby today?" With a little hesitation, we said ok. It was very surreal. It couldn't have been easier. We got to go home, ate lunch, had grandma pick up Bennett, grabbed our stuff and headed back down to the hospital to check-in. For how much I worried I would have the baby on the side of the road, in reality it was the exact opposite. I got really emotional saying bye to Bennett. It was the last time he would be my only baby. The sole focus of our world. For some reason that really was hard for me and broke my heart a bit.

Once we got back down to the hospital at 1pm we walked in and a nurse showed us into our delivery room. It felt like we were checking into a hotel. She had everything laid out for me - gown, socks, chapstick, water, lotion, etc. Very different in comparison to last time when I was in so much pain I could barely open my eyes to see what was happening around me. We got hooked up to the baby monitors and hunkered down. Ironically, I started having contractions at home before we headed to the hospital. They weren't very strong and about 10min apart, but Davis would have been coming on his own within the 24hr regardless. At about 4:45pm our dr came by to break my water. And then we waited. The contracts started to come more frequently and intensified, but they still were nothing compared to my first labor. The nurse kept asking if I was ready for the epidural and I said no. She warned me that the contractions might not ever get as bad as the first time around and to not wait too long. I was checked about an hour or so later and was now dilated to 6cm. I decided to get the epidural since I now was worried I would miss the window. So much worrying :)

Once the epidural was in things started to stall. Contractions weren't as regular. We rolled from side to side to try and get things engaged and once I was on my right things started to happen. This took probably another three hours. My epidural was perfect, I could still feel the dull ache of the contractions but no major pain. Thank god. Finally it got to the point where I could tell it was time. The nurse checked and I was fully dilated. They went to go get our dr and she happened to be next door delivering another baby. We were all hoping my dr. would be over lickety split, but it took a good 20min, I know, I was watching the clock. We, Blane, mom and I, were all getting a little nervous that this baby was coming and we would have to get someone else to deliver. But, like in the movies, our dr. came in at the last minute. She geared up, gave us our instructions for pushing and, 4 gentle pushes later Baby Davis was born 9:46pm. He came right up on my chest and Blane got to cut the chord. He had a knot in his umbilical chord which apparently isn't too common. With Bennett, he had meconium in his amniotic fluid so they had to treat him first before I could hold him and Blane couldn't cut to chord. It's amazing how every experience is different.

We had a couple nights at the hospital and were definitely ready to go home by the end.  Bennett was excited to meet his new brother and gave lots oh hugs and kisses. He's not a fan of the crying, but I can't blame him for that. Since being home we're still working on being gentle with pokes and hugs and making sure B feels secure and loved.  It's hard when you're constantly nursing to give him focused attention. I suppose it's all an adjustment and it will take time, for all of us. Baby D is pretty sweet. He always wants to be held and eats constantly. Sleeping at night still seems impossible, but hope to figure something out soon. We've gotten out of the house way more than we did with B,  shopping, restaurants, coffee, etc. It all seems way less stressful this time around!












No comments: