Friday, September 28, 2012

We made it!

Well it was a long haul but we made it to Charlie and Chelsie's in Ramstein, GRE. We left our house in Seattle around 10am and caught an hour flight up to Vancouver. we had a 4hr layover then left for Germany around 6:45pm. It was a 10hr flight and we both were able to get about 4-5hrs of sleep. We thought all was good...once we landed I started feeling hot and nauseous which isn't too unusual as that has happened a lot in the past years,however once I cool off I'm usually fine. Well this time not so much! We bought Charlie a little Markers at the Vancouver duty free and thankfully I grabbed that bag as i quickly skirted around Blane to deplaned since I knew what was coming - ugh. A little awkward barfing as you're walking off the plane and then into the terminal, but I was able to hide it pretty good.

We met Charlie in the main terminal and then dumped our stuff and headed into Frankfurt for the quick tour. We did the Rick Steve's walking tour and saw some of the key sights, got caught in a huge downpour, got my first pretzel and chocolate croissant at a small bakeries and took our signature picture in front of the first Starbucks we found. It was really interesting seeing how little of the old architecture is still there. It looks like such a new, modern city.

From there we hopped in the car and made the 1.5hr drive to their village, about 20min off base. We had our first taste of the autobahn maxing It's a quaint little area and looked quite deserted when we rolled in. I guess they have these external metal blinds that people shut in the evenings which shuts out all the light so it literally looks like no one is around. We had a little dinner and then headed to bed by 10:30. I thought I would wake up refreshed at 8am, but sadly that wasn't the case. We were both wide awake at 2am and didn't fall back to sleep until 6am and finally got up at 10am.  Chelsie is at work today and we're watching the little man while Charlie is able to take care of some job and daycare stuff. We're going to tour around this afternoon and get supplies to make a nice dinner for our hosts.

Excited to be here and starting to feel better, nothing like taking a shower and brushing your teeth after a long day of traveling. We are going to hit a pumpkin rest tomorrow afternoon and then head out on our road trip on Sunday. Chelsie said Germany is like one big state fair. Hope to figure our how to attach photos on the iPad soon.

No comments: